Friday, February 18, 2011

Cyclocross Mucky Wheels

Getting to ride outside on a day off in February with temps in the high 40s is like getting asked to the prom as a Freshman by the hottest cheerleader in school.  You don't turn that down.  Needless to say, this was a stellar dirt road ride out in the country on my cyclocross (CX) bike.  It was sunny too, but with 25mph winds, gusting up to 40mph, trees were getting blown down into the road and I got hit by one flying stick.  Just on my helmet though. I found some new roads to explore near Hell, Michigan, and they were gorgeous.

Best part: I counted 25 cars that passed me, with 10 of those coming on this 3 mile stretch of paved road that I'll try to avoid next time. I LOVE the dirt roads!

The one st00pid thing I did was to ride on this unpaved 5 mile section of Lakelands "trail", which had not completely melted and was so soft it was like pedaling through wet sand...when I wasn't slipping over ice + snow. I tried riding on the grass/reedy area just off the granular trail, but that was so bumpy that my head hurt. Couldn't go faster than 8mph during this section and I was bombing out some major watts here. But when the trail turned to pavement, it was sooooooo sweet.

Car free for miles down the road.
This is my engine.  It runs on watts.
This is my steed.  It runs on love.
Do not look at the booger.  Hey! You looked!
The 5 miles of st00pid started like this.
Then came this sludge.  Legs were toasted.
Doyles are EVERYWHERE.

Aw, it's not so bad here.

Some of my friends.

Holy cow! 
Mighty Huron
Someday you'll find it, the rainbow connection...
Last of the snow, for now.

Skunk stripe.
Can you see me now?
Totally covered in FUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment